Children in our Two Year Old Classes are introduced to developmentally appropriate, theme-based concepts through fun and exciting group and individual experiences. Our rich classroom environment and developmentally appropriate experiences allow children to learn, as they develop self confidence and establish friendships. Children are encouraged to explore all aspects of the classroom ~ growing and learning with both repetitive and new experiences.
- Emphasis is placed on social interaction and emotional growth. Children learn to follow directions and take turns. They are given lots of opportunities to make decisions and encouraged to make good choices.
- Circle Times help children learn how to function in a group setting ~ that there is a time to talk and a time to listen, how to share their ideas, and how to learn from each other.
- Large group, small group, and individual activities provide a variety of experiences to enhance growth and development in all areas
- Daily language and literacy experiences support growth in language development and vocabulary.
- Children are introduced to letters and sounds. They learn there are different letters of the alphabet, they each have a different shape and make different sounds, and when you put them together in different ways, they form words.
- Math skills are developed with hands-on experiences, as children work on sizes, colors, shapes and counting, sorting, comparing, classifying, and measuring.
- Fine motor skills are strengthened through the use of manipulatives, play dough, creative table play, sensory tub materials, and a variety of art experiences.
- Art is enjoyed as children are exposed to both teacher directed projects and independent exploration of art materials.
- Special daily and weekly themes or seasonal activities provide variety and excitement.
- Individual Portfolios and Assessments collect each child’s work and monitor progress.
Our Two Year Old literacy program, "Read Together, Talk Together", helps children develop the pre-reading skills they will need to become successful and enthusiastic readers. By listening to the carefully chosen books on a daily basis, children learn new vocabulary, how language sounds, how words begin and end, and how some words rhyme.
Our two year olds are introduced to "potty training" based upon individual development. Our staff works closely with parents to coordinate this important milestone in the best interest of the child.